* Why can’t I create Blogs, Wikis, Team Sites or Blank Sites in my Publishing site collection (created with the Publishing Portal site template)?
* Why can I only create certain pages in the Search Center site in my Publishing site?
To cut to the chase, you actually can do this. What the SharePoint team did was provide a way for us to filter what site templates are available to use when creating subsites within specific sites as well as filter which page layouts are available on a site by site basis when our content owners create pages. Out of the box, site collections created using the Publishing Portal site template can only contain other sites created using the Publishing Site or Publishing Site with Workflow site templates. This filtering is implemented by the Publishing site definition. However it is very easy to change.
Go into any Publishing site’s Site Settings page and look under the Look & Feel column for the Page Layouts & Site Templates link. From this page you’ll be able to do the following:
* Inherit the parent site’s settings for site templates & page layouts.
* Turn off all filtering for the site templates & page layouts that are available to content owners and hierarchy managers (those who can create subsites… aka: manage the site topology).
* Turn on filtering and customize the site templates & page layouts that are available to content owners and hierarchy managers.